Friday, September 28, 2007

Good Ole Patterson Park

I have been a Friends Of Patterson Park for a number of years. This morning I received a newsletter from them showing that the City Paper have voted them the "Best Park"
http://www.citypaper.com/bob/story.asp?id=14154

I can't you tell how good this made me feel. Since I grew up a block from the park, it became a second home to me and my family and friends. During those years we had the good fortune to play just about any kind of ball you can think of. This includes curb ball, stick ball, softball, baseball, kill the man with the ball, you get the idea. You mention it, we did it. I had the pleasure to swim in the old swimming lake before in was filled in and a new cement pool was built. The old swimming lake was located where the Ice Rink is now.

The boat lake was used for fishing or just sailing model boats. At one time The Boat Lake actually had boats you could rent! The many hills in the park was used for sledding in the winter and skating in the summer. I remember when they were putting up the Pulaski Monument that is still located near Linwood Ave and Eastern Ave. At that time we didn't know who General Pulaski was! Check him out here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/10/20011010-4.html

At one time Patterson Park was used as a Civil War Camp and a Civil War Hospital, this was back in the 1860's. I have an original letter written by a soldier stationed there telling about how it was at the camp and Baltimore. He was from New York State.





Patterson Park has a great history. Life around it even now, has benefited living near by or visiting the many functions that goes on during the year.





There is plenty of Patterson Park history on the net if you are interested. I am glad to see that the personnel of the Friends Of Patterson Park who have worked so hard to bring this park back to life get the kudos from the City Paper. They sure worked hard in bringing the park back to life.

1 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger Frosen3 said...

Hi - I would love to have a copy or at least the text that was in that Soldier's letter about Patterson Park. I am doing local family research and many of my ancestors lived around PP in those days. It would be neat to learn what it was like.

Thanks,

Frank

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? Live Blog Stats