Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Spring Is Near And Fishing Is In The Air

Yesterday I headed to Bass Pro Shop at the Arundel Mills Mall. I picked up my fishing license and a new pair of Chest High Waders. I usually have my fishing license in January so I am late in getting it. This nice warm weather has me wanting to get on the water to wet a line. I know there will be more cold weather ahead, but that is something I can dress warm for.

The Shad fishing on the Susquehanna River will be starting in a few weeks and I should be there for the next couple of months catching those baby Tarpon like fish. They hit hard and jump high out of the water when hooked, truly a fun fish to catch. They range in size from a couple of pounds up to 8 lbs. At this time they are catch and release, which is fine with me.

When fishing the Susky this time of the year you don't know what kind of fish you will catch. It is the major spawning grounds for many of the species found in the Chesapeake and surrounding rivers. The Striped Bass, known here as Rock Fish, use the Susky as a spawning ground and in the springtime the river is loaded with large fish. They are closed to fishing at this time until they spawn and return to the Bay. Every year when catching the Shad, it is not unusual to have a nice size Shad on the end of your line and while bringing it in, a very large Striper will grab it and get it off of your line. These Stripers are big, 30 to 40 lbs. If they get the hook in their mouth say goodbye to your line. Most of the time they just grab your 2 or 3 lb Shad and tear it off and go their merry way. While it is fun to see this happen I rather just to be catching the Shad.

I mentioned about other fish being in the Susky. You can catch just about any fish at any time while fishing for Shad. Large Mouth and Small Mouth Bass, very large Catfish ( ummm good eating), Perch, Crappie, Pike, Herring and Walleyes. You never know what you will bring in. Oh yeah, very large Carp if you like catching those bruisers.

It is less than an hour's drive for me to get to the Susky and fish. Getting there when the sun comes up is a great feeling. Seeing the Sun rise on the water just makes things feel right.

I also fish the Loch Raven Reservoir. I have a small reservoir boat with an electric motor to get me from one end of the lake to the other. Here again the fishing is good and it is only 10 minutes from my house. I get a permit for the season, so I just haul my boat to the lake and drop it in and start to fish. I like catching the Toothy Critters in Loch Raven. The Pickerel and Great Northern Pike. We have caught the Northerns up to 17 lbs. I have seen the State record Northern Pike swimming around in Loch Raven. One day I will pull the record Pike out of there.

The Bass fishing is very good, for both Large Mouth and Small Mouth Bass. My largest Bass coming out of Loch Raven is just over 6 lbs. Some days if the fishing is slow, just cruising around in my boat looking at the Deer, Beavers, Geese and yes Eagles is all one needs to have a great day. With an electric motor you don't go very fast so you get to see the wildlife up close.

Fishing is not always about catching, but just enjoying being on the water. Loch Raven is close by, but you feel like you are in a remote area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? Live Blog Stats