Monday, January 30, 2006

He Never Ever Found Out

Some time back a couple of buddies and I were traveling through New England and Upper State New York. We were Antiquing the different Antique Shops looking for goodies. The three of us are dealers, but we all collect as well. These trips were always nice to get away to and we would hunt Antiques from the time the shops opened and until they closed. Just about every shop closed by 6 p.m. One of the things we enjoyed on these trips was eating dinner. If we were in a new area we would always ask the shop owners where was a good place to eat. We were never disappointed.

One of my two friends lives for food. Food means more to him then just about anything. If you were to give him a gift of fresh baked bread or pastry, he was your friend for life. All of the times we would travel together and would be having breakfast or dinner he would check your plate and make sure you didn't get served more food then he had. It happens, and he would be in a tizzy about it. When we are out with a bunch of friends for dinner he would eat what the others didn't. Everybody knew this and didn't mind giving him their leftovers.

On this trip to New York and New England he was cry babying about one of us getting more on our plate then him. We got fed (pun intended) up with him crying about the food. This one particular night we were staying in Saratoga Springs New York and was going to the best Steak House in town. We all love a good steak and tonight we wanted a good one. We had just ordered our steaks from the waitress, when Food Boy got up to go to the men's room. When he disappeared I got up and found our waitress and told her, to find me the largest steak they had, and make sure to give it to me and I would pay for the difference. I told her why and slipped her a few bucks for doing it. She was in on it, and of course, Food Boy was not to know about what we cooked up (pun intended).

When I came back to my seat I told my other buddy what went on and he couldn't wait to see the look on Food Boy's face. Food Boy came back and we had a few drinks and was waiting for the food. Out she came with our food. She served my other buddy first, then served Food Boy who's eyes were on the two plates eying the steaks up. She then sat down my plate with a steak that was hanging over the sides. Food Boy's eyes bulged as he looked at my steak and started his cry babying about the size of my steak. Well, the two of us just laid it on Food Boy who couldn't believe how much bigger my steak was than his. As I was eating I kept saying how tender and good it was. Yep, I ate the whole thing with nothing left over for Food Boy. For the rest of the trip we would tease Food Boy about that steak.

Till this very day, he never knew how that went down (pun) and we have had many more meals since then. We are still friends and every once in awhile this steak dinner comes up and we laugh about it. Shhhh, don't tell him.

3 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah, you are devious. And you got a nice steak out of it. :)

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's something very Freudian about guys arguing over their meat.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Double Dogged said...

You know what they say, don't let your meat loaf!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? Live Blog Stats