Friday, December 09, 2005

HOT DOGS Food For Thought

The following is a comment I made to a newer Blogtimore Blogger, Holding The Line. I just happened across the Blog and it was about how much Kevin likes Hot Dogs. The comment I made was a little long and I thought the information about Hot Dogs or about Ethnic Deli's in or around Baltimore would let others know that Baltimore has a few nice Ethnic food places tucked away that have great food and are fun to go to. Here is what I had to say:

Hey Kevin, I just happen to catch your blog about Hot Dogs. I love a good Hot Dog also. I have found a couple of ethnic Deli's that have some of the best Hot Dogs or Sausage I have every tasted. They are good meat markets, so you will have to buy them and cook them yourself. It is worth the trip. They sell all kinds of other meats and most of it is made on the premises. My favorite is the Krakus Deli an all Polish Deli at 1737 Fleet St. in Fells point. 410 732 7533. They have the best large natural casing Hot Dogs ever. They are without a doubt my favorite. This time of the year I put them in my oven broiler on a piece of aluminum Foil and let them crack open and get almost burnt. It only takes a few minutes to cook and they plump up very large. My favorite roll is Martin's Potato Rolls that you can get in any grocery store. They add to the taste and are not too big for the Hot Dog. Put on your favorite mustard with onions and you have a winner.One of my other favorite places is Binkert's Meats. They are all German and are located at 8805 Philadelphia Rd. Just north of Golden Ring Rd. I like to get their Weisswurst which is made of veal and has a very good taste. They have many other kinds of dogs and other meats. Phone 410 687 5959. If you are interested in going to these places I would call first for hours as both are closed on certain days of the weeks. If you are going to the Krakus Deli call to make sure they have the Hot Dogs. They come in on Friday or Saturday and they go fast. Krakus also makes fresh Sausage on Wednesday nights and are available on Thursday till they are all sold. Saturday is a busy day at Krakus and people come from other states to buy their meats there. If you decide to go and everybody is speaking Polish and you can't, don't worry they all speak English also. LOL This place is a true Baltimore find. I hope this wasn't too long of a comment, I just wanted you to know about these two places. There are others around Baltimore, but that is for another day. BTW: all of the above Hot Dogs can be frozen for later eating. End of comment.

I just added the following:

I just decided I am going to the Krakus Deli on Fleet St. and pick up some of those Hot Dogs now. While I am there I will buy one of the small smoked hams that Walter the owner smokes right there in the store. They are not very big, but have a good smoked taste that I love. That ham is just scrumptious tasting. I will slice it for sandwiches or better yet slice it thick and fry it up like Bacon to go with eggs or any breakfast. It is inexpensive and they average only a few pounds. You can have them slice it, but I like to slice my own. There are too many things to mention that they sell there besides meat

As stated before there are plenty more Ethnic food places through out the area that I have visited over the years and found them all to have that special something. That can be another blog later on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? Live Blog Stats