Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I am looking to buy a new digital camera. My old one still works very well, but it is time I upgrade. My Sony Mavica FD71 has been good for me, especially for E Bay for which it was originally intended. It uses a floppy disc which is very convenient to pop in my computer. The low pixels were fine for computer photos, now I want to take good clear sharp photos.

I have been looking at the Canon PowerShot SD550 with 7.1 Mega Pixels and the S-80 PowerShot at 8.1 Mega Pixels. The SD550 sells for $449 and the S-80 sells for $549 at the box stores in this area. They can be had on- line and/or E Bay for about $100 less. Paying for the shipping offsets the Sales Tax I would have to pay here.

Both cameras are very small and compact and have a lot of good features. Let me state here and now, I don't know much about camera's, but I am getting to know these 2 models just from reading about them and handling them. I was at first looking at the Nikon CoolPix, then I became aware of the Canon's. The difference between the SD550 and the S-80 is the wide angle lens on the S-80, it's 28--100 mm which is a 35 mm film equivalent and on the SD550 it is 37--111 mm which is a 35 mm film equivalent. The 7.1 pixels on the SD550 and the 8.1 pixels on the S-80 probably wouldn't make much difference on the quality of the photos. It is the 28mm lens that I like and I am leaning toward the S-80. The size and the weight is not much of a difference between the 2 camera's. Both of the camera's are the latest models for this year. They both have a 2 1/2" screen which is a 1/2" bigger than the older models.

Anyone have any feedback on these or any other small digitals or what I should be looking for in a camera, please leave a comment. What digital camera are you using and how do you like it?

3 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it all really depends on what you want to use it for. Will you only be posting photos online, or will you also be printing them? If so, how large do you expect to print them and what will you be printing them for (e.g., will you be hanging an 8 x 10 or larger on the wall or will you just be putting 4 x 6 photos into an album). Do you want to be able to learn more about photography, or do you really just want a point-and-shoot?

I currently have two cameras. One is an 8.0 MP Canon PowerShot Pro1 that I absolutely love and the other is a 3.2 MP Canon PowerShot S30 that is also very good.

The reason I like the 8.0 MP camera is because it allows me to shoot larger images with a great macro feature and a nice zoom (7x digital). Since I've been looking to get into stock photography, the 8.0 MP are really essential because often buyers want to buy a full-resolution image. There are lots of other reasons I love this camera that I could also tell you more about if you're interested.

However, for posting photos online or printing relatively small prints (8 x 10 and under), even 3.2 MP is perfectly fine. Really, megapixels are not the main thing unless you are printing large size. If you're looking at a 700 px wide photo online, you will not notice the difference whether it was shot with 3.2 MP or 12 MP, trust me.

I didn't look up your old camera, but if you're shooting with 2 MP or less, yes, upgrading is probably a good idea. But I wouldn't go crazy spending money on a camera with a really high megapixel count until you know why you need it to be that high! If you have the money to burn, fine. But if you're just going to be posting photos on the web and printing them for photo albums and the occasional wall print, then you could save a couple hundred dollars and go with a 4 MP camera...

I could go on and on about this, but what you need really depends on what you will be using a camera for and I won't go into all the possibilities here. If you want, send me an email and I can give you a little more help.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger acw said...

Seadragon said it better, and earlier, than I could have.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Double Dogged said...

Seadragon, you have mail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? Live Blog Stats